|Officers of the 2nd battalion Munster Fusiliers,
stationed at Bareilly Camp India January 1891.
have been identified -
row standing from left
row seated from left
row on ground from left
Lieut. F.F. Mellows
2nd Lieut. Lord
Lieut. R.C. Boyle,
Lieut. A. E. O.
Capt. R. Ffinnell,
* Captain Pierce
Capt. & Adjt.
George S. Ormurod
Capt. A.F. Mann,
Major S.W. Hare
Colonel J.H. Barnard
Major Wiliam Lloyd
F.A. D'O Gordon
Lieut. J.K. O'Meagher.
Authors note: Captain
Pierce Thomas Chute, is from the Chute family of 'Chute
Hall' Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland.
(1) Roger Courtenay Boyle - (1863 - 1944) - Brigadier-General,
General Officer Commanding Infantry Brigade
Cheltenham College Militia, Royal Munster Fusiliers
Roger Courtenay Boyle was the son of Major-General
Robert Boyle CB. He was commissioned in the Royal Munster
Fusiliers from the Militia on 6 May 1885. He saw active
service in Burma (1885-9) and in the South African War
He was Adjutant 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers
(1891-5), Adjutant 3rd (South Cork Militia) Battalion
Royal Munster Fusiliers (1902-5) and Commanding Officer
2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers (July 1909-July 1913).
When the European War broke out Boyle had been on
half-pay for more than a year, but the war rescued his
career. He served as Acting Adjutant & Quarter Master
General with the 3rd Division from August to December
1914, when he was appointed General Officer Commanding
83rd Brigade in the newly formed Regular 28th Division.
His time as a brigade commander, however, was short.
He fell ill in May 1915 and went home. After his
recovery he became Inspector of Territorial Forces (July-November
1915) and then DAG HQ British Alone Army (November-December
1915). Alone was not an ideal posting for someone with
health problems and on 9 December 1915 Boyle was transferred
to the Egyptian Expeditionary Force as Commander Alexandria
District. He retained this post until June 1919, when
he retired from the army.
of Christopher D. Murphy of England.
biography: John Bourne ,Centre for First World
University of Birmingham, England.